Saturday, June 5, 2010

Full Contact, All Girl Roller Derby


So anyone who's seen Whip It will understand the obsession that is roller derby. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it, good movie. And get yourself along to your local derby match. They're insane. And that's just the spectators.

I went to see the Sun State Roller Girls tonight down at Beenleigh - WAY out of my usual jurisdiction (and comfort zone - more on that in my next post) and I've gotta say, it was a good night. It's a much more interesting sport to watch than say, any of the 18 million codes of football we appear to have in this bloody country, and a damn sight shorter than cricket. Plus, they have a market
there (not just merchandise - actual shopping!), where they sell pretty insane bodices and heels - as well as far too much goth-like skull stuff for my taste - but it's nice to see shops at sports :-)

And if you like checking out girls in very little clothing banging into each other in a very aggressive way, it's good for that too. Or comparing your arm size with theirs (there were definitely girls on the track that were bigger than me. Bigger, and meaner.)

No comments:

Post a Comment