Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sometimes, you gotta quit

I've been in bed for two days. Which is why I have no idea what's been going on in the blogging or tweeting world, at least for the last 24 hours. Yesterday I kind of kept up, but today I slept for fifteen hours straight and haven't had the energy to read a blog or a tweet. Yep, it's bad.

Problem is, I have no idea what's wrong. I don't have a blocked nose or a sore throat. I don't have a sore tummy, apart from some issues on Monday night that lasted for only about half an hour. I have been feeling a bit down, as blogged about earlier in the week, but nothing so bad to be considered in-bed-for-days worthy. No-one died, I'm not having a depressive episode. I'm headachey but it's not one of my "humdinger" (neurologist's term) migraines. I'm just really fucking exhausted and can barely walk around the house.

The lovely virtual librarian pinged me about something else and I confessed my utter desolation at what the hell was happening to me, and how I really want to just have enough energy to go back to work. She convinced me to stop the Tony Ferguson diet, as the lack of energy seems to have really come on since I started it. Lack of carbs and all of that. So I'm quitting. Tonight I'm going to have the bolognese that I cooked a couple of nights ago with some pasta, and start eating carbs again. I'm still going to watch what I eat - but no more meal replacements, and no more low-carb diets. I remember years ago being told by a dietitian that my blood type is a carbohydrate blood type, whereas my Mum's was protein - so when hungry Mum goes for protein, but I need carbs.

So hopefully this will help, and next week I'll try and go to WeightWatchers, and continue the weight loss journey in a new direction.

Update: just spoke to someone at the Chemist and they said extreme exhaustion can be a side-effect of the TF diet, as the ketosis can have that effect on a (small minority) of people. Nice to be special :-P

9 comments:

  1. Special is good and Bolognese on a cold winter night is the best!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad. I kinda thought the same but don't know you well enough to tell you. :) Go for whole grains and complex carbs where you can. Hope you are feeling more yourself VERY soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear as was very concerned that restrictive diet was causing this. I think your best bet is the old nothing in excess diet. Eat varied food a don't lash yourself. I have no idea what your Bmi is but maybe you need to think about what is realistic to lose and what you need to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nomes, you have such a lovely figure. I'd kill to look as gorgeous as you. I'm glad you are off this diet. If you absolutely must shed weight then you should do so in a way that works for you. Don't punish your body - it doesn't deserve that. As Polyxena said, "nothing in excess". That should do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll be feeling better soon, and I think you will be now that you've stopped the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carbs are great, but do things like brown rice, spelt, etc. What blood type do you have? I try to steer clear of lots of wheat because it does VERY BAD things to me, but I'm fine with potatoes and rice.

    Look into some products from Orgran - http://www.orgran.com/. Maybe see a proper dietician and remember, the best way to lose weight is to EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hire out a walker or something and watch films, read books, listen to podcasts while you walk off those KGs.

    Fad diets are crap.

    Although, I have to say, the blood type diet really worked for me :) That's how I discovered that I was wheat intolerant.

    Xox love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the end you should do what makes you happy and this diet was draining you of all your energy. Eat healthy and hope you enjoyed every bite of your bolognese. Hope you feel better soon xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always known you are special, Nomes.
    I also think its better to get back on the Weight Watchers thing. Especially if you said it worked for you in the past.
    It did amazing things for Brad & Lou (I think they lost over 50kgs collectively!).
    Plus its sustainable.
    And most of the yummy things are carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your body was clearly telling you something was wrong with the diet. And at this time of the year, your body craves carbs. Weight Watchers is the way to go. The bolognese sounds yummy! Take care xo

    ReplyDelete